Saturday, August 6, 2011

Texas Road Trip.

When Brian told me he was going to Dallas the last weekend in July, my first thought was "I'm in!!" I have still have some really great friends down there that I definitely do not see often enough and when Brian offers a free trip down, it's crazy not to go...but once we left I'm pretty sure I was crazy to say yes to an 8hr drive in a car with a toddler. Okay, okay, it really wasn't that bad. We left early Thursday morning and thankfully Kai slept for the first couple hours. The rest of the drive was somewhat of a blur. I think it's because I was the one driving while Brian and Kai snoozed in for a couple hours. Thanks boys....

But there is a background story to this story. You see, when I first said yes to going to Dallas, one of my friends, whose name is also Lindsey, said she wasn't going to be in town because they were going to Colorado. Bummed? Yes. Disappointed? Obviously. Jealous? Yeah, that was mostly my problem. I mean, how could I really be upset for them going to the greatest state of all states? I couldn't. So once I found this out, honestly, I reconsidered. The Williams are the ones we stay with. The ones we play cards with until the wee hours of the morning. The ones who we used to smoke cigars and play Super Nintendo with. The ones who we just have a genuinely great time with, relaxing, doing nothing but be ourselves. I miss that. That's why I wanted to go to Dallas. But they weren't going to be there, so what was the point of going? There really wasn't one until the following 2 things happened. 1: My OTHER friend Lindsay had her baby girl a few weeks early (on Kai's birthday!) and of course I just needed to give that baby a squeeze!!!! 2: Ummmm Dallas has an Ikea HELLLLLLO! Soooooooo off to Dallas we went :o)

So we finally hit Texas...after stopping at a nasty McDonald's and letting Kai run around for a bit and get some energy out. Seriously, nastiest McDonald's EVER. We probably wouldn't have stopped there if it wasn't 1. the only place to eat since we were in the middle of NOWHERE and 2. the only place that my energy filled child could run like a freaking mad man and let some of that energy out without being kicked out of the restaurant. But Ikea was on the horizon so I sucked it up and dealt with it. Okay, now if you've never been to Ikea you must go, but just be prepared to be overwhelmed. Honestly wanted everything. That's one thing about getting a new house - you want ALL new things! Ugh, it's dreadful. However, we did buy a couple of cute things for our new place, so I was pretty happy. AND we found a couple of things we want for later...when we have money for it. Bottom line: Dallas trip, already a success. Nothing like driving 8hrs to go shopping :o)

Kai found a guitar in World Market and he was in music HEAVEN.
Scout.Jelly.Plug.Blank.Check.
You would think I would have known better...
Friday afternoon, after doing some early morning shopping (yes, I'm addicted, back off) Brian dropped Kai and I off at the Thomas residence! YAAAAY for seeing Lindsay and meeting Payton. Let me just say...LOVE. I love her. I love babies. I want one. NOW! But for now Payton definitely gave me my little baby snuggle fix. I forget how much they sleep and how non-active they are. Kai was constantly concerned that Payton kept dropping her "plug" and kept trying to jam it in her mouth (sorry Lindsay), but all in all I think he did really well around her. Duke, the little doggie, helped distract him at times, but the moment that baby made any sound Kai would run over to make sure she was okay and say, "NO NO BAAAABY!" (no-no = uh-oh in his lingo, just stick with me) Thank you Lindsay and Payton for putting up with us alllllll day. We love you all and it was so great to see you!
Checkin' out Payton.
Kai getting ready to shove the plug into her mouth.Precious!!!
Saturday was just another busy busy day! Wouldn't have it any other way :o) In the morning we went to one of my good friend's house, Mary. I met Mary when I worked at Guidestone and she is the greatest, bestest lady ever. No joke. I love her. Mary's daughter in-law and son had just adopted a baby girl (Zoey) and so when we got to her house she was making cupcakes for Zoey's "gotcha" party. Of course, Kai and I were more than happy to help her with the cupcakes...and we ate a couple along the way. Again, Kai was easily distracted with her 2 doggies and all the toys Mary had to play with from her other granddaughter, Kallie. So while Mary and I slaved in the cupcake decorating department, Kai had a ball playing with all the new toys! After finishing all the cupcakes we ran a few errands before Mary dropped us off at my other friend, Mary's house. I know, I know, real original. I only have Texas friends whose names are either Lindsey or Mary. Ohhhhh well, they are all super great!!

Helping Mary with the cupcakes!YUMMMMMY!!!Running errands...purse and necklace, a must.
So when we arrived at the Flickner's, all the kiddos were sound asleep, but that didn't stop Kai from diving into the HUGE train track that Blake had set up that morning. Unfortunately, once Kai got into it, it was completely ruined. All boy, all destruction, all day. Soon enough Isaiah woke up and him and Kai almost immediately went into battle. They were quite the warriors - so brave and courageous!! Once Ruthie was up, it was pure mayhem for a couple hours. Seriously, a house full of screaming, destructive, energetic kids. SOOOOOO great!! I don't think I have smiled that much since...well probably since the day before when I got to hold Payton :o) But watching Kai with the Flickner's made me so happy. They were so much fun - I couldn't stop watching them. Bath time was a watery mess, but pure joy. After bath time, Blake and Brian got home and took the kiddos outside. Why we gave them a bath I'm not sure because they were a hot sweaty mess 2 hrs later when they finally were forced to come back in. Ruthie even pulled her pants down to pee outside, just like her brother. I.died.laughing. Malachi sure was exhausted because when we left he was OUT before we even got out of their driveway. Sign of a night well played. Thanks Flickner's for all the fun!!

Pre-gaming for the bath by jumping on the bed.
SO MUCH LAUGHTER!!!
ALL smiles!
Just a little after bath cheerios snack.Chomp.Chomp.Game time.
Sunday morning we had to leave, but JT and Skyla stopped by with some donuts and juice. I hadn't seen JT in a couple years, so it was really great to see him and Skyla. She is so sweet and they are an awesome couple. It makes me happy to see my friends happy :o)

Unfortunately, like most trips go, getting home seemed to take a million hours. Kai slept for the first 4 hrs of the trip, but after that he was quite exhausting. Entertaining a 2yr old in the car is really hard and literally takes a lot of energy to distract him for long periods of time. He watched a movie, thankfully (seriously, he rarely will watch a whole movie without getting bored), then Brian insisted we take the scenic route, then insisted we stopped at the University of Arkansas, to which I told him if we were stopping I was getting a new mug. I LOVE MUGS!! So we stopped, I got my mug, and all was well...except for that last hour of the trip I wanted to jump out of the car, but hey, the trip was definitely worth every minute in the car. I never thought I'd miss Texas, and really I don't miss living there, but I do miss the great people that I met. My friendships there are forever and I just wish we could all just live in one small little community together. Good friends are hard to replace when you move away, but thankfully good friends are still good friends from a distance. Miss y'all ;o)

1 comment:

  1. YAY for babies coming early so you get to meet them!!! It was SO good to see you guys :)

    ReplyDelete