Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Swim Trunks

(because I haven't loaded my pictures from my phone yet I have to use this one, just for the cuteness...)

So every Tuesday and Thursday the lovely Nassif Aquatic Center has a "toddler waddlers" from 10:00-11:30. It's really nice because it's only for 6 and under and not many kiddos show up, giving us the whole splash pad all to ourselves..and well, I don't feel like I have to completely hover over Kai making sure that the big kids don't run anyone over. Those dang big kids, always getting in the way :o) I mean, the pool during "regular hours" is always great and I tend to not be the "hovering type" of parent, but when there are middle/high school kids running around the "splash pad" area that is meant for toddlers, I get a little irritated. Seriously, the pool is about 2 feet deep, go play elsewhere ya chumps ;o) Anyway, Kai and I went yesterday and as we were getting ready (he had just woken up so was pretty cranky) I was explaining that we need to put a swim diaper on in case we have an accident, swim trunks on so that we aren't naked, sunscreen so we don't get a sun burn, sunglasses so we don't have to squint, etc. You know, just running through the list to somewhat try and distract him from his cranky "I just woke up, leave me the frick alone" self. So off to the pool we go with our towels in hand. We get there a little later than normal, because, well, Kai was sleeping, but there is still a solid 45 minutes of pool time left. I take Kai's shirt off and make him put "his" phone in his "pack-pack", which I realize it completely hypocritical since I leave mine out so I can take a few pictures. After he is all set and ready I take off my shirt and go to take my shorts off so we can get to splashing...and Kai starts freaking out. "MOMMY NOOOO! You not take your trunks off because you be naked!" I stare at him with completely confused, but he is legit worried, I can read it on his face. At this point he is pulling my shorts back up saying "No mommy no!" Okay, okay, I know I'm not in the greatest shape yet, but come on!! I try to explain to him that Mommy wears a swimsuit and doesn't need swim trunks, only boys need swim trunks. But he insists I keep my "swim trunks" on. Finally, just so we can get in the pool, I leave my shorts on. It's really not that big of a deal, it's not like I actually go swimming in the splash pad...if I did I would be again, hypocritical, since I get irritated with all those older kids when they do that. So I just stand there, calf deep in my swim trunks, making sure Kai doesn't push any littler kids over. Good thing I was a lifeguard once upon a time...

4 comments:

  1. Cute!!!! He was just trying to protect his Mommy!!! Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. We have the same issue with the bigguns. Albeit middle schoolers trouncing around the kid area. Rapscallions. All 3 can push back though. Hendrick at 20# can give me a run for the money....full speed at my knees. Makes me wince each time he comes head on.

    ReplyDelete