Brian and I both LOVE bananas. We probably have one every day unless, of course, we are out. Well a last week we had these 2 bananas that were looking pretty pathetic so I thought to myself, "Hey I should make us some banana bread!" Clearly 2 bananas aren't enough to make it so I went out and bought some and specifically kept my mitts off so they could get nice and icky. I am not one known for baking or cooking masterpiece creations, but lately I've really enjoyed baking so I figured this would be a great little project for me to do.
So Tuesday I was feeling extremely motivated and took a stab at the banana bread. Everything was going great - Kai was playing in his highchair perfectly content and Hayden was in the swing talking away to himself. I whipped up the perfect looking banana bread dough, put it in the pan, placed it in the oven and put the kiddos down for their nap. Amazingly they both fell asleep without ANY crying (for Hayden that is a VERY big deal). I was so proud of myself...I know, it doesn't seem like a lot to be proud of, but this is my first banana bread and it looked delish, even uncooked. Also, all the laundry was clean and laundry, and I have realized that this is a very big deal when you have a baby and are using cloth diapers. Honestly, the laundry was quite hideous prior to that day. Okay, so my timer is set, the kids are sleeping, the laundry is folded and put away and I am about to FINALLY finish 'Eclipse' (the 3rd book of the Twilight saga). Things are looking good...until my timer goes off. I get up to check it and the bread is nowhere near done so naturally I plop it back in the oven. 15 minutes later the apartment is smelling absolutely delightful and I am becoming more and more impressed with my baking skills. I walk over to the oven to check the bread again. I pull the baking rack out a little so I can reach the pan and BAM. The pan slides off the baking rack and smashes onto the oven door, banana bread goop spilling everywhere. I stood there in shock for about 3.3 seconds before I heard a voice yelling in my head "SAVE THE BREAD WHAT ARE YOU DOING SAVE IT SAVE IT". Quickly I reach for another oven mitt and scoop the bread and uncooked dough into the pan and cook the rest. Almost at the exact time that I dropped the pan, both kids started crying and then I started crying. I was so flustered and obviously saddened by the events that had happened before my eyes. I guess I shouldn't have been so proud of myself...
It's okay though, the bread came out just as yummy as one could expect. I told Brian it was my artist attempt at abstract cooking. It's still edible and we're still eating it. Lesson learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment